It’s hard to be a tank lately.
We’re getting to the point now where most people have taken at least a couple of strolls through all of the dungeons currently released, both on normal and heroic mode and have at least dipped their toes into the starter raid instances.
With complacency come complaints!
You have to understand that around this time is when everything’s blamed on the tank or the healer and it’s easy to see why.
When you’re a tank, or when you’re a healer, when things are going smoothly, it’s almost impossible to distinguish yourself as better than the average.
When people were setting foot into these dungeons and raids for the first time, there were a lot of opportunity for mistakes to be made. There were a lot of boss mechanics that weren’t fully understood and a lot of patrolling add groups that were pulled accidentally.
While these mistakes made for some hair pulling moments, they were good in a way because if you were an exceptional tank or healer, it was your time to shine. A good tank and healer could pull the group through these emergencies as a matter of course while the not so proficient players floundered.
As people grew more and more familiar with the instances and boss mechanics and the runs get smoother and smoother, the situations that differentiate an adequate tank from a great tank grow few and far between.
Provided that all of the DPS do their jobs the way they should and the healer is competent, there won’t be that much difference between the best tank in the world and a merely adequate one and given that it becomes harder and harder to tell apart an adequate tank from a great one, it’s no wonder that most of the mindless DPS you’ll run into through your forays with the LFG tool will take to pointing the finger at you at the first sign of trouble.
All you can do for now is to grin and bear it. Let the random DPS do stupid things in your instances and use the opportunity to learn and grow as a tank. Let their mistakes give you experience with dealing with the unexpected.
4.1 and the new instances in the Firelands is on its way and when it lands, once more we’ll have a brand new set of dungeons where nobody knows whether to jump left or right and it’s there that the mindless sheep will see once more how much of a difference it’ll make to have an exceptional tank for their run instead of simply an adequate one.
- All’s Quiet on the Western Front Wow, things have been really calm and quiet around here!...
- General Cataclysm Tanking Tips So, I don’t know about you guys, but it’s been...
- Welcome to Looking for Group There’s a lot to be said for the looking for...
Recent blog posts
- Long awaited gaming Duke Nukem Forever coming out in May
- Dungeon Call to Arms Mechanic: Yay or Nay?
- Yogg Saron Soloed Death Knight-Style!
- Kalvarian's Corner: Stopping the Burn-Out
- Hunter Memorial: Ammunition (Arrows/Bullets)
- Hunter Memorial: Aspect of the Viper
- Top 5 Best Looking Hunter Pets in Cataclysm
- Hunter Memorial: Volley
- What if World of Warcraft was in Real Life?
- A Letter to the DPS, From a Healer